The Truman Library and Museum, invites high school students aged 16 or older to submit applications for our volunteer summer internship program.
Interns at the Truman Library get hands-on experience providing the community with resources to help foster new ideas and growth.
Benefits of this high school internship program include:
- Experience working in a professional environment
- Skill enhancement
- Resume building
- Community service fulfillment
- References for future school plans or employment.
Your commitment would be 60 hours as an intern during the month of June. Available working hours would be from 10am - 2pm or 11am - 3pm, Monday through Friday. We can be very flexible and accommodate any plans you have for family vacations, summer job, etc.
Interns will work alongside members of the Education Department staff to shape education resources and programming at the Truman Library. Specific projects shift year to year and compliment the interest of each intern. Previous projects have included development of educational materials, school field trips, assisting in digitizing documents, supporting on-site tours, evaluating programs, and designing hands-on family activities.
The internship will provide real-life, on-the-job experience to help prepare students for careers in and related to public programs. Most majors will be considered as long as the minimum internship requirements are met. The public programs intern will work directly below the Public Programs Officer. The intern will learn the fundamentals of public programming, and support public program planning and event execution functions, as well as other day-to-day operations.
A limited number of students can be accepted into this summer program; All material must be submitted by May 1 for consideration.
Overall qualifications for interns:
- 16 years or older
- 2.5 grade point average or higher
- Desktop computer skills helpful
- Reliable, responsible, dependable
- Able to work independently
- Able to accept supervision
- Good communication skills
Complete Application Packets must contain the following:
- Completed Internship Application
- writing sample (approximately 5 pages in length),
- two teacher references
- current unofficial transcript.
- Submitted complete application packet to the Student Internships Coordinator.
Applicants may be contacted for an interview during the selection process
500 West U.S. Highway 24
Independence, MO 64050