Monday, October 16, 2023, from 6:00 - 7:30 P.M.
Truman Library, Independence, Missouri
Theme: The Year "1948"
There will be questions about these events in 1948:
- Berlin Airlift
- Desegregation of the military
- 1948 Election
- Marshall Plan
- Recognition of Israel
- Arts and Culture
This contest is for 9-12th grade students from Kansas and Missouri. Registration for the 2023 contest is free! Only one team from each school may participate and all students must be in 9th - 12th grade. Private, parochial, public and home schools are all welcome to register for the contest.
Groups of up to six students from each school will participate in teams. They will answer questions on a variety of questions relating to the theme. A "host" from the Library will ask the questions.
Each question will be displayed one at a time on a PowerPoint screen and the teams will have 30 seconds to answer the question. There will be 6 rounds with 10 questions each. Team members are to work together to answer the question. At the end of each round, teams will submit their answers. The majority of the questions will be multiple choice and a few will be true/false. Some questions may include historic photographs or sound clips for students to identify.
- Aaron Burr was the third Vice President of the United States under Thomas Jefferson. Who did he mortally wound in a duel on July 11, 1804?
- Other than William Jennings Bryan, who is the only other major party candidate to be defeated three times?
- How many Vice Presidents have been elected to the Presidency in their own right?
a) 14 b) 9 c) 5 d) 2
- Which Republican candidate's slogan was "In your heart, you know he's right?'
There will be prizes for first, second, and third place teams, along with certificates of participation for each student. Light refreshments will be served.
Questions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org