Truman Library Hours and Directions
Museum Temporarily Closing for Renovation July 23, 2019
The Truman Library is launching a massive renovation of the museum and its exhibitions, the first major renovation in more than 20 years and the largest since the museum opened its doors in 1957. The museum’s last day open to the public is Monday, July 22, 2019, before the museum closes for approximately one year.
Learn more about the ambitious project, planned to coincide with the 75th anniversary of the start of Truman’s presidency in 2020, at https://www.trumanlibraryinstitute.org/capital-campaign/.
Admission to the Truman Library which includes all temporary exhibits plus the museum's permanent exhibits and attractions, is $8 for adults, $7 for seniors, $3 for children ages 6 to 15, and free for children 5 years and under. For more information on the Museum and programs, call (800) 833-1225
Research Room Hours
Monday - Friday: 8:45 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Closed on Federal holidays. Please note that the Research Room will remain open during the closure of the Museum for the renovation.
There are several living accommodations within walking or driving distance of the Library.
View a list of lodging options here.
Contacting the Library:
Please write or call the library for more information:
Harry S. Truman Library
500 W. U.S. Highway 24
Independence, Missouri 64050-1798
FAX (816) 268-8296; e-mail: email@example.com
Directions to the Library:
The Truman Library (500 W. U.S. Highway 24, Independence, Missouri 64050-1798) is approximately 35 miles from Kansas City International Airport. Bus service, indirect and possibly requiring considerable time and patience, is available between the airport and Independence Square, which is about 1 mile from the library. A taxi ride from the airport to the library costs about $55.00. There are many routes to the library by road. Some of the most direct are as follows:
- from the airport: east and south on I-435 (Kansas City's circumferential highway) about 32 miles, to U.S. 24, and then east 3 miles to the library, visible on the north side of U.S. 24.;
- from the north: I-35 to I-435 east then south to U.S. 24 east.;
- from the east: I-70 to Highway 291. Head north on 291 to U.S. 24 west
- from the south: I-35 to I-435 east and north, to U.S. 24 east.;
- from the west: I-70 east through Kansas City to I-435 north, to U.S. 24 east.
- Online map and directions
- GPS Users: Please note that our entrance is off 24 Highway (Independence Avenue). Some GPS devices will not accept 24 Highway so we suggest entering Independence Avenue instead. We are bordered on the West by Delaware Street and on the East by Pleasant Street.