SUPERVISED BY: Audiovisual Archivist
PURPOSE OF JOB: Assist the archivist in general archival work in the audiovisual area, including description, preservation, clerical work, reference, etc. Audiovisual collections include still photographs, films, and sound recordings.
DUTIES MAY INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Preparing descriptive information on photographs, sound recordings, films, and videos.
- Processing manual catalog cards.
- Preparing photograph finding aids.
- Selecting audiovisual material for student research files or other curated collections.
- Refiling photos and negatives.
- Assisting the archivist in responding to reference requests from staff or outside sources.
- Placing negatives and photographs in acid-free sleeves for preservation purposes.
A minimum commitment of 4-5 hours per week for a three-month period is required. Volunteer opportunities will be available Monday - Friday from 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. There are no weekend or evening shifts available for this position.
Must be age 16 or older
Able to work independently
Able to accept supervision
Capable of performing repetitive tasks with attention to detail
Typing skills and computer skills helpful
Good organizational skills helpful
On-the-job training provided by the archivist.
LOCATION OF JOB:
Harry S. Truman Presidential Library & Museum, Independence, Missouri
Knowledge about Harry S. Truman, the Library and Museum, and the educational aspects offered to visitors through a variety of programs/exhibits; discount prices in the museum gift shop; invitations to special events; volunteer appreciation programs; free parking; free subscription to "Whistle-Stop," the quarterly newsletter of the Harry S. Truman Library Institute; free admission to the museum for you and your immediate family; close work with original and unique historical documents.