Chief, Imports Section, Finance and Program Division, Marshall Plan Mission to Greece, 1950-1954
The papers of James Warren include correspondence, dissertations, printed materials, maps, reports, unpublished manuscripts, handwritten notes, and other items concerning Warren’s life and career, especially his service in Greece under the Marshall Plan.
Size: 7 linear feet.
Copyright: The donor gave to the U.S. government the copyrights in this material and in any other material received by the U.S. government and maintained in a depository administered by the National Archives and Records Administration. Documents created by U.S. government officials in the course of their official duties are in the public domain. Copyright interest in other documents presumably belongs to the creators of those documents, or their heirs.
Processed by: Katie Smith and David Clark (2013).
Updated by: Haley Petersen (2019) as part of the Truman Library Internship Program.
Supervising Archivists: Randy Sowell and David Clark.
1927 (September 11)
Born James Carey Warren, Jr., Morristown, New Jersey
U.S. Army Air Corps
B.A., Princeton University
Economic Analyst and Chief, Imports Section, Finance and Program Division, Economic Cooperation Administrations and Mutual Security Agency Missions to Greece
Analyst, American Overseas Finance Corporation, New York, New York
Executive, Standard Vacuum Oil Company in New York, the Philippines, and Greece
General Manager, Esso (Exxon) Standard Hellas, Athens, Greece
Assistant to the President, Bates College, Lewiston, Maine
2009 (January 13)
Died, Washington, D.C.
The papers of James Warren include correspondence, dissertations, printed materials, maps, reports, unpublished manuscripts, handwritten notes, and other items concerning Warren’s life and career, especially his service in Greece under the Marshall Plan. The collection is arranged in a single Subject File.
The collection contains correspondence between Warren and others, including many researchers who used information from Warren for their dissertations, theses, or other research projects. Many manuscripts and published works are included in the collection.
Much of the collection pertains to Warren’s work in Greece with the Finance and Program Division of the Economic Cooperation Administrations (ECA) and later the Mutual Security Agency (MSA). For this reason, some documents are written in Greek.
Additional items in the collection include two drafts of Warren’s unpublished novel, “Antiparos,” and his memoir, “Marshall Plan in Greece.”
|SUBJECT FILE, 1944-2009
Correspondence, dissertations, printed materials, maps, reports, unpublished manuscripts, handwritten notes, and other items. Arranged alphabetically by folder title, and thereunder chronologically.
SUBJECT FILE, 1944-2009
- Abazoglou, Olga
- Advanced Area Studies Greece and Cyprus
- Agreement Between the United States of America and Greece, 1947
- American Economic Aid Program in Greece, 1947-1952
- American Embassy Athens, Greece, 1947-1948
- American Embassy Athens, Greece, 1949-1950
- American Embassy Athens, Greece, 1951
- American Embassy Athens, Greece, 1952-1954
- American Embassy Athens, Greece, undated
- Annotated Bibliography on Greek Public Administration
- Antiparos, Second Draft [1 of 2]
- Antiparos, Second Draft [2 of 2]
- Appendix II: The Amount of Aid Extended to Greece, 1947-1962
- Baerentzen, Lars
- Bates College, 1973-1978
- Bien, Peter
- Biographical Material
- British Embassy
- Burk, Kathleen
- Burns, Nicholas
- Burns and Roe, Inc. Export License Application
- Clippings [1 of 2]
- Clippings [2 of 2]
- Close, David
- Cold War: A Television History (VHS)
- Common Use Program For Greece
- Conference Programs and Papers
- Constantinides, George
- Coombs, Charles A.
- Costanzo, G.A.
- Currency Committee Activity Reports 1951-1952
- Daily News Digest 1945-1946
- Dealing With Greece 50 Years (1940-1990), American Diplomats Recount Theirs Experiences
- Department of State, 1947-1949
- Department of State, 1950-1951
- Department of State, 1952-1959
- Department of State Directories
- Digest of Reports From Field Representatives, May 1952
- Distant Cousins: The Special Operations Executive and the Office of Strategic Services at Odds Over Greece
- Division of Relief and Welfare of the American Mission to Greece, Second Quarterly Report: October-December 1947
- Drake, Russell P.
- Ebasco Services Incorporated, Reports
- Ebasco Services Incorporated, Sismanadis, A.
- Ebasco Services Incorporated, Vachaviolos, P.J.
- Economic Cooperation Administration (ECA)
- Economic Cooperation Administration Position Paper-Greece
- Economic Problem of Greece Report
- Electric Power Program, Kingdom of Greece
- Ellwood, David
- ERP: From Rags to Riches-Marshall Style!
- ESSO Pappas Petroleum
- Facts on Greek Local Government
- Finance and Program Division
- Financial Experiences of Greece From Liberation to Truman Doctrine [1 of 3]
- Financial Experiences of Greece From Liberation to Truman Doctrine [2 of 3]
- Financial Experiences of Greece From Liberation to Truman Doctrine [3 of 3]
- Financing of Greek Resistance To Communist Aggression, June 1947-July 1948 [1 of 2]
- Financing of Greek Resistance To Communist Aggression, June 1947-July 1948 [2 of 2]
- Foreign Affairs Oral History Collection Interview, 2004
- Foreign Trade Administration Reports
- Frazier, Robert
- Giannaris, John
- Gold Sales in Greece
- Gondicas, Dmitri
- Greek American Operational Groups (CD)
- Greek Foreign Policy in the Nineties
- Greek Medical Care Facilities 1948-1956
- Greek Politics and Society in the 1990s
- Greek Sulfur Requirements 1951-1952
- Greek Writing
- Griswold, Dwight P.
- Handwritten Notes
- Hellenic Academic Society Lecture, Oct. 28, 1995, Atlanta, GA
- Hellenic American Women's Council Third Annual Conference Speech
- Hemenway, Russell D.
- Hicks, Anne
- Hionidau, Violetta
- House Committee on Expenditure in Executive Departments, Greece Briefing Materials
- Hughes, Mimi
- Iatridis, John
- I Lived With Greek Guerrillas (book)
- Import Licensing Schedule, 1951
- Index to Postwar Greek Governments
- Index to RG59 and RG469: Records Related to Greece
- Interventions and Underdevelopment: Greece During the Cold War
- "Iscot Decrypts" Regarding Greece
- Kalyvas, Stathis N.
- Kontos, C. William
- Lansdale, Bruce
- Lapham, Roger D.
- Letters to the Editor
- Life, and Approaching Death, of a Greek Slavophone Border Village
- Lykogiamnis, Thomassi
- Machado, Barry—Correspondence [1 of 2]
- Machado, Barry—Correspondence [2 of 2]
- Mahon, Francis
- Marshall Plan in Greece: A Memoir
- Marshall Plan: Lessons for US Assistance to Central Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union
- Marshall Plan: Origins and Implementation
- Marshall Plan: Perspectives of Participants: Fifty Years Later
- Marshall Plan Speech, June 5, 1947 (CD)
- Mazower, Mark
- McGrew, William
- Memorandum on the Greek Economic Situation
- Memorial Services for James C. Warren
- Mission to Greece: 1948-49 Program
- Mission to Greece: 1950-51 Program Statistics
- Mission to Greece: 1951-52 Program and 1948-52 Statistical Tables
- Mission to Greece: 1952-53 Program and 1948-53 Statistical Tables
- Mission to Greece: Current Needs Imports Program Fiscal 1951/52
- Mission to Greece: Memoranda
- Mission to Greece: Monthly Reports
- Mutual Security Agency Economic Position on Greece
- National Advisory Council
- Naveen, John (Mrs.)
- Nutrition Work in Greece
- Occupation Period Draft
- Operational Analysis Papers
- Overhead Projector Slides
- Oxyrrhnchos Papyri
- Pappas, Thomas A.
- Paul, Carter de
- Pierce Management
- Porter, Paul A.
- Porter, Paul R.
- Press Releases
- Proconsular Role of America in Greece
- Prospects and Economic Objectives for Southern European Countries
- Psalidopoulos, Michalis
- Rebellion: The Rise and Fall of The Greek Communist Party [1 of 3]
- Rebellion: The Rise and Fall of The Greek Communist Party [2 of 3]
- Rebellion: The Rise and Fall of The Greek Communist Party [3 of 3]
- Reflections on the 50th Anniversary of the Truman Doctrine/Marshall Plan Program in Greece
- Report of the FAO Mission for Greece
- Research Articles [1 of 5]
- Research Articles [2 of 5]
- Research Articles [3 of 5]
- Research Articles [4 of 5]
- Research Articles [5 of 5]
- Research Material, 1944-1945
- Research Material, 1947
- Research Material, 1948
- Research Material, 1950
- Research Material, 1951
- Research Material, 1952
- Research Material, 1953
- Research Material, 1954
- Research Material, 1955
- Research Material, 1956
- Research Material, 1960
- Revaluation of the Drachma
- Role of the American Trade Union Representatives in the Aid to Greece Program 1947-1948 [1 of 3]
- Role of the American Trade Union Representatives in the Aid to Greece Program 1947-1948 [2 of 3]
- Role of the American Trade Union Representatives in the Aid to Greece Program 1947-1948 [3 of 3]
- Secretary of State, 1946-1948
- Secretary of State, 1950
- Secretary of State, 1951
- Secretary of State, 1952
- Secretary of State, undated
- Seymour, Jack
- Soviet Union and Europe in the Cold War 1943-1953
- Special Operations Executive (SOE)
- Story of the American Marshall Plan in Greece
- Structural Problems of the Development of the Greek Economy: 1950-1966
- Study of the Standard of Living of Industrial Workers
- Sture, Ernest
- Stylianakis, John
- Summary Notes
- Tenenbaum, Edward
- Tentative Report of the American Economic Mission to Greece
- Thomadakis, Stavros
- Tsatsos, Constantine D.
- United Nations Relief Reports
- United States' Aid to Greece 1947-1962
- Updating the Truman Doctrine: The US and NATO's Southern Flank
- Vafiades, Markos
- Vetsopovlos, Apostlos
- Warren Family letters
- Woodhouse, C.M.
- Woodrow Wilson Center: New Evidence on the Soviet Rejection of the Marshall Plan, 1947: Two Reports
- Zaririou, Rena