Size: 35 linear feet.
Copyright: The donor gave to the U.S. government the copyrights in this material and in any other material received by the U.S. government and maintained in a depository administered by the National Archives and Records Administration. Documents created by U.S. government officials in the course of their official duties are in the public domain. Copyright interest in other documents presumably belongs to the creators of those documents, or their heirs.
Processed by: Willie L. Harriford, Jr. (1965).
ARCHITECT AND CONTRACTOR
- Hegeman-Harris Company, Inc.
- Architects - Somdal & Gentry (4 folders)
- Massman-Patti contractors
- Charts and drawing - Gentry & Voskamp
H.S.T. LIBRARY BUILDING MATERIALS
- Acquisition of the site of the Harry S. Truman Library
- Building costs (2 folders)
- Revision of building estimate, 1956 - Building Committee meeting, Feb. 1956
- H.S.T. Library blueprints
- Library inscriptions
- Library cost estimates
- Furnishings and equipment estimates
- Duff and Repp
- Furnishing and landscaping - Hare & Hare
- Library drawings
- Library maps
- Location of Library
- Library pneumatic tube system
- Library shelving
- Library shelving pamphlets
JANUARY 8, 1953 - DINNER
- Attendance at dinner
- Dinner acceptance
- Dinner regrets
- Miscellaneous for dinner
HARRY S. TRUMAN LIBRARY GROUNDBREAKING
- Invitation list for groundbreaking
- Rejected invitations for groundbreaking
- Accepted invitations to groundbreaking
- Publicity releases, printed cards, memos, letters for groundbreaking
HARRY S. TRUMAN LIBRARY DEDICATION FILE
- Library luncheon clippings (2 folders)
- Letters re ceremonies
- Lists - invitations sent (2 folders)
- Invitations sent
- Formal invitations
- Joe McGee acceptance and regrets
- Joe Mcgee file
- Dedication press releases
HARRY S. TRUMAN LIBRARY FILES, 1950 - 1953
- General correspondence Harry S. Truman Library Inc., 1950-1951
- General correspondence Harry S. Truman Library Inc., 1952
- Contribution letters
- Acknowledgement letters
- Bank statements and pass book
- Chairmanship letters
- Auditors' reports, 1953
- Auditors' reports, 1954
- Auditors' reports, 1956
- Auditors' reports, 1957
- Auditors' reports, 1958
HARRY S. TRUMAN LIBRARY CONTRIBUTORS AND FINANCIAL PAPERS, 1950 - 1957
- Balances, 1952
- Report of Treasurer, December 20, 1952
- Receipts, January 1, 1953 - March 1, 1953
- Library income breakdown, January 14 - July 8, 1953
- Analysis of income breakdown, July 18, 1950 - Sept. 1, 1953
- Expenses, January 21, 1953 - September 29, 1953
- Reports through December 31, 1953
- Treasurer's report June 8, 1954
- Treasurer's report July 15, 1950 - June 30, 1954
- Treasurer's report July 15, 1950 - September 15, 1954
- Treasurer's report September 15, 1954 - September 12, 1955
- Special Report, November 19, 1955
- Special Report, December 30, 1955
- Special Report, January 31, 1956
- Special Report, March 14, 1956
- Special Report, April 8, 1956
- Progress Report, August 1, 1956
- Treasurer's report, September 15, 1956
- Financial report, November 2, 1956
- Financial Status of the Library, November 15, 1956
- Financial Status of the Library, December 20, 1956
- Treasurer's report for special meeting January 28, 1957
- Financial status of the library, July 17, 1957
- Books, October 1950 - August 1952
- Library contributions, October 9, 1950 - February 2, 1953
- Building accounts, statements, invoices, etc. (Duter correspondence)
- Building account
- Building account - 1957 statements
- Expense accounts and vouchers, 1954 - 1957 (2 folders)
- Deposit slips, 1953-1957 (2 folders)
- Bank statements, 1953-1957
- Check stubs, 1953-1957
- Petty cash book
LIBRARY INVOICES AND BILLS
- Bank statements and deposit slips, 1958 - 1963
- June 1955
- July 1955
- August 1955
- September 1955
- October 1955
- November 1955
- December 1955
- January 1956
- February 1956
- March 1956
- April 1956
- May 1956
- June 1956
- July 1956
- August 1956
- September 1956
- October 1956
- November 1956 (3 folders)
- December 1956
- January 1957 ( 2 folders)
- February 1957 ( 2 folders)
- March 1957 (folder 1)
- March 1957 (folder 2)
- April 1957 (2 folders)
- May 1957
- June 1957
- July 1957 (3 folders)
- August 1957
- September 1957
- December 1957
- 1958 - 1960
- Expenses, January 1953 - April 1955 (28 folders)
- Expenses, May 1955 - November 1957 (31 folders)
- Balance sheets
- Building cost paid
- Weekly reports
PRESIDENTIAL PAPERS - INFORMATION RE OTHER LIBRARIES
- Presidential libraries - general
- The Presidential Library - Kahn article
- Miscellaneous libraries
- Eisenhower Library information
- Hoover Library
- Hyde Park Library information
- Hyde Park information
- Lincoln Memorial Center Association
- Papers of Presidents ( 4 folders)
FUND RAISING FOR THE HARRY S. TRUMAN LIBRARY
- State Committees - Arizona
- State Committees - Arkansas
- State Committees - California, pledge card replies
- State Committees - California, form letter, Los Angeles
- State Committees - California, San Francisco, (2 folders)
- State Committees - Colorado, Denver
- State Committees - Colorado, Denver Library dinner
- State Committees - Washington, D.C.
- State Committees - Charles Murphy's mailing campaign
- State Committees - Dean Acheson's special gifts committee
- State Committees - Mrs. Mastin White, Treasurer, D.C.
- State Committees - Washington, D.C. luncheon, June 25, 1953
- State Committees - Melvin Hildreth's "stone" file
- State Committees - Library reception, May 7, 1954
- State Committees - Florida
- State Committees - Georgia
- State Committees - Chicago, Illinois (3 folders)
- State Committees Hellenic Federation dinner, October 28, 1955
- State Committees - Indiana
- State Committees - Iowa
- State Committees - Louisiana
- State Committees - Maryland
- State Committees - Mass., Boston luncheon, March 8, 1954
- State Committees - Michigan
- State Committees - Michigan, Ann Arbor, Sam Hayes
- State Committees - Michigan, Detroit
- State Committees - Minnesota
- State Committees - Minnesota Farmers Union
- State Committees - Missouri, Communications Workers dinner
- State Committees - Missouri, Kansas City dinner, November 6, 1954
- State Committees - Missouri, Kansas City
- State Committees - Missouri, St. Louis
- State Committees - Nebraska
- State Committees - New Jersey
- State Committees - New Mexico
- State Committees - New York dinner, May 8, 1953
- State Committees - New York contributions
- State Committees - New York, Frank Berand, Jack De Simone, Stephen Scopas, Greek activities cocktail party, November 11, 1953
- State Committees - New York Luncheon, June 29, 1953
- State Committees - New York, Abraham Feinberg
- State Committees - North Carolina
- State Committees - Ohio, Toledo Young Democrats September 6, 1955
- State Committees - Ohio, Cleveland dinner, June 3, 1955
- State Committees - Ohio, Cleveland
- State Committees - Ohio, Cincinnati, Junior Order of the United American Mechanics
- State Committees - Oklahoma
- State Committees - Oregon
- State Committees - Pennsylvania, Philadelphia dinner, December 13, 1954 (2 folders)
- State Committees - Pennsylvania
- State Committees - Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Harry S. Truman presentation of Franklin Portrait
- State Committees - Pennsylvania, Scranton
- State Committees - Texas
- State Committees - Utah
- State Committees - Washington, Seattle dinner, November 26, 1955
- State Committees - Wisconsin
FUND RAISING PLANS
- Progress report letters, January 21, 1955
- Form Letter replies, November 5, 1954
- Suggested methods of raising money, November 5, 1954
- Fund raising letters to trustees, contributors of $1000 or more and contributors of $100 or more
- Postal data - 1954 mailing
- Library mailing envelope
- Harry S. Truman television program - Callahan, Delehanty, O'Donnell, August 10, 1953
LISTS - POSSIBLE AND ACTUAL CONTRIBUTORS
- Key men -states - Miscellaneous
- Key and potential contributors, 1953
- Large contributors listed
- Possible contributors
- Rockefeller Foundation - Dean Rusk
- Foundations - Ford Carnegie
- Harry S. Truman Library Foundations
- Memo for foundations
- Harry S. Truman Library and Foundation giving
- Homer Wadsworth
CORRESPONDENCE - CONTRIBUTORS TO HARRY S. TRUMAN LIBRARY OVER $100
- $100 contributors form letter
- A - L (12 folders)
- Mc - W (11 folders)
CORRESPONDENCE - CONTRIBUTORS TO HARRY S. TRUMAN LIBRARY UNDER $100
- Anonymous contributors
- A - Mc (13 folders)
- M - XYZ (10 folders)
- Correspondence pulled from files for replies
- Letters from President Truman re birthday contributions
- Democratic Committee contributions
- Blegen, Theodore C.
- Commager, Henry Steele
- Decker, Clarence R.
- Ellis, Elmer
- Grover, Wayne C.
- McGrath, Earl J.
- Murphy, Franklin D.
- Schlesinger, Arthur
- Shafer, Boyd
- Advisory Committee May 7, 1957
- Harry S. Truman will
OFFICERS AND TRUSTEES
- Acheson Bust (folder 1)
- Acheson Bust (folder 2 and 3)
- Offer of papers
- Deposition and care of Presidential papers
- Independence Examiner Library Articles
- Bank of Independence, Missouri resolution
- Land purchase account
- Library press release
- Library contributions made by officers and trustees
- Items sent to trustees
- Harry S. Truman
- Harry S. Truman Library - contents and archival aspects
- Evans, Tom
- Waller, Wilmer J.
- Acheson, Dean
- Anderson, Clinton P.
- Allen, George E.
- Arvey, Jacob M.
- Austin, Warren R.
- Barringer, L. T.
- Bez, Nick
- Blair, James T., Jr.
- Blaustein, Jacob
- Bowles, Chester
- Brannan, Charles F.
- Brooks, Elwood M.
- Brown, Francis, C.
- Bulova, Arde
- Bunche, Ralph J.
- Carey, James B.
- Chapman, Oscar
- Chase, Mrs. Mary
- Clark, Joseph S., Jr.
- Clayton, William L.
- Clifford, Clark M.
- Connelly, Matthew J.
- Cord, E. L.
- Cox, James M.
- Davis, Blevins
- Donaldson, Jesse M.
- Donohue, F. Joseph
- Ewing, Oscar
- Feinberg, Abraham
- Foster, William C.
- Fowler, Henry H.
- Frye, Jack
- Gardner, Mrs. O. Max
- Gray, Georgia N.
- Greenfield, Albert M.
- Harriman, W. Averell
- Harrison, George M.
- Johnson, Louis A.
- Keenan, Joseph B.
- Kennedy, John F.
- Kennedy, John F. 1961 Inaugural address
- Killion, George
- Land, Frank
- Lasker, Mrs. Albert D.
- Lausche, Frank J.
- Lawrence, David L.
- Leighty, George E.
- Lincoln, Murray D.
- Lewis, John L.
- Magnin, Cyril
- Mann, Frederic R.
- McCahey, James B.
- McCormack, John
- McDonald, David J.
- McGee, Joseph
- McGrath, J. Howard
- McKim, Edward D.
- McKinney, Frank E.
- Meany, George
- Miles, J. Fred
- Miller, Ed S.
- Morgan, Thomas
- Morrison, Mrs. Emma N.
- Murphy, Charles S.
- Palmer, Dwight R. G.
- Patterson, Fred D.
- Patton, James G.
- Pauley, Edwin W.
- Potofsky, Jacob
- Putnam, Roger L.
- Radcliffe, George L.
- Rayburn, Sam
- Reuther, Walter P.
- Roosevelt, Mrs. Eleanor
- Rosenman, Samuel I.
- Saloman, Sidney, Jr.
- Schary, Dore
- Schnitzler, William F.
- Sermon, William
- Silver, Charles
- Snyder, John W.
- Souers, Sidney
- Steelman, John R.
- Stewart, Mrs. Louise
- Stone, Dewey D.
- Symington, W. Stuart (folder 1)
- Symington, W. Stuart (folder 2 and 3)
- Tipton, William E.
- Tobias, Channing
- Turner, Roy J.
- Van Sant, Thomas H.
- Weatherford, Robert T.
- Williams, G. Mennen
- Woodward, Stanley
- Youngdahl, Luther, W.
TRUSTEES, DECEASED OR DID NOT SERVE
- Carroll, T. C.
- Ernst, Hugo
- Hildreth, Melvin D.
- Jacobson, Edward
- Jobes, Harry
- MacGowan, Charles J.
- Marshall, George C.
- Myers, Francis J.
- Perlman, Philip B.
- Tipton, Ernest M.
- Vinson, Fred M.
- Walker, Frank C.
- Dubinsky, David
- Hayes, Albert J.
- Hoffman, Paul
- McCloy, John J.
- Parten, R. J.
- Schiff, Dorothy
- Barkley, Alben
ARTICLES OF INCORPORATION, BY-LAWS, LEGAL ASPECTS
- Rufus Burrus, Missouri Lawyer
- Transfer of deed
- Library legislation (2 folders)
- Draft assigning Library to U.S.
- S. 1150 (Bill for Presidential space)
- Legal material
- Articles of Agreement - By-Laws
- Treasurer's reports
- Contacts re Truman Library building
- Correspondence - general
- Correspondence - rent
- Purchasing of securities
- Lists - contributors
- Releases - clippings - publicity
- Correspondence - contributions
- Rental of headquarters
- Treasury Department - status of income tax
- Insurance - surety bond
- Minutes - Board of Trustees
- Re-issuance of checks, etc., 1953-54
- Re-issuance of checks, 1955-56
- Re-issuance of checks, 1957
- Re-issuance of checks, 1958
- Deposits, 1953
- Deposits, 1954
- Deposits, 1955
- Deposits, 1956
- Deposits, 1957
- Deposits, January - June 1958
- Financial statements for 1958 and 1959
- Current expenses
- Grandview, Missouri property expenses
- Grandview deed and insurance policy
- Kirschner stock
- Financial files (4 folders)
- Federal regulations
- Library accouterments
- Adams Papers microfilm information
- Applications for work
- Bill - to microfilm Library of Congress Presidential Papers
- Contributor's page
- General correspondence
- Lehman, Saul, Correspondence
- Correspondence, Dr. Brooks, 1957-58
- Correspondence, Dr. Brooks, 1959
- Correspondence, Dr. Brooks, 1960
- Correspondence, Dr. Brooks, 1961 (2 folders)
- Correspondence, Dr. Brooks, 1962
- Correspondence, Fuchs, Brooks, and Lagerquist, 1954 to June 1957 (2 folders)
- Library equipment
- Films, Truman Administration
- Miscellaneous inquiries concerning the Library
- Library charts and maps
- Donated materials
- Kempton portrait reproductions
- Museum display
- Library pamphlets (2 folders)
- Truman portrait information
- Requests for materials from the Harry S. Truman Library
LIBRARY CORPORATION PERSONNEL
- Gowen, Mary A.
- Gunter, Lola
- Jacobsen, Sue P.
- Knicley, Betty J.
- Lloyd, David D.
- McGrath, Agnes M.
- Nakasian, Patricia
- Snyder, Margueritte J.
LIBRARY CORPORATION TAXES, INSURANCE, CORPORATION BOND
- Corporation bond
- Employees compensation insurance
- D.C. sales tax exemption
- D.C. Unemployment compensation tax exemption
- Federal income tax exemption
- Withholding taxes
- New York City Sales tax exemption
- Taxability of gifts
TRUMAN LIBRARY CORPORATION OFFICE, WASHINGTON, D.C.
- Office furnishings, estimates, etc.
- Stationery, office
- Lease, 1001 Connecticut Ave. N.W.
- Webb Building
- Webb Building expenses, 1958
- Trustee's names and addresses
- Annual meeting, notice of meeting 1952
- Annual meeting, December 20, 1952, statement by Tom Evans
- Annual meeting, proxies, 1953
- Annual meeting, press releases issued after the meeting, 1953
- Annual meeting, notes and memos, 1953
- Annual meeting, agenda, 1953
- Annual meeting, minutes, September 29, 1953
- Special meeting, minutes, January 8, 1953
- Special meeting, statement of Basil O'Connor, January 8, 1953
- Special meeting, University of Kansas City offer, July 7, 1954
- Special meeting, City of Independence, Missouri -site offer, July 7, 1954
- Special meeting, University of Missouri site offer, July 7, 1954
- Special meeting, notes, memos, July 7, 1954
- Special meeting, University proposals, memos, July 7, 1954
- Special meeting, press releases, July 7, 1954
- Special meeting, minutes, July 7, 1954
- Special meeting, proxies and notices, July 7, 1954
- Annual meeting, September 18, 1954
- Annual meeting, September 17, 1955
- Annual meeting, September 15, 1956 (2 folders)
- Special meeting, miscellaneous letters, January 17, 1957
- Special meeting, press releases, January 17, 1957
- Special meeting, Building Committee letters, January 17, 1957
- Special meeting, financial report, January 17, 1957
- Special meeting, proxies signed, January 17, 1957
- Special meeting, resolutions passed, January 17, 1957
- Special meeting, memos, January 17, 1957
- Special meeting, agenda, January 17, 1957
- Special meeting, minutes, January 17, 1957
- Special meeting, notes of meeting, January 17, 1957
- Annual meeting, addition work on Library, September 19, 1957
- Annual meeting, architects bill, September 19, 1957
- Annual meeting, deed, September 19, 1957
- Annual meeting, building committee, September 19, 1957
- Annual meeting, September 17, 1957
- Annual meeting, notes September 19, 1957
- Annual meeting, proxies, September 20, 1958
- Annual meeting, September 20, 1958
- Annual meeting, proxies, September 19, 1959
- Annual meeting, September 19, 1959
- Annual meeting, proxies September 17, 1960
- Annual meeting, September 17, 1960
- Annual meeting, proxies September 16, 1961
- Annual meeting, September 16, 1961
- Annual meeting, proxies for 1962
- Annual meeting, September 15, 1962
THOMAS HART BENTON MURAL
- Thomas Hart Benton mural (2 folders)
- Thomas Hart Benton mural (folder 3)
- Benton dedication cost
- Benton mural dedication 1961
NATIONAL HISTORICAL PUBLICATIONS COMMISSION
- Hearings, June 5, 1957
- Campobello project, memo by David D. Lloyd, July 7, 1958
- Campobello correspondence
- Dinner President Truman, June 23, 1953, Mayflower Hotel
- Individuals - Anderson, Cy
- Individuals - Harrison, George
- Individuals - Keenan, Joseph D.
- Individuals - Meany, George
- Individuals - Slaughter, Glen
- Associations - Air Line Pilots
- Associations - International Association, Bridge, Structural and Ornamental Iron Workers Association
- Associations - Flight Engineers International Association
- Associations - International Association of Fire Fighters
- Associations - Glass Bottle Blowers Association
- Associations - International Hod Carriers Association
- Associations - United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and Pipe Fitting Industry of the United States and Canada
- Associations - International Association of Machinists
- Associations - Retail Clerks International Association
- Associations - National Association of Special Delivery Messengers
- Brotherhoods - United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners
- Brotherhoods - International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
- Brotherhoods - International Brotherhood of Firemen, Oilers, and Helpers
- Brotherhoods - International Brotherhood of Pulp, Sulphite and Paper Mill Workers
- Brotherhoods - International Brotherhood of Railway Carmen of America
- Brotherhoods - International Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters
- Brotherhoods - American Federation of Grain Millers
- Brotherhoods - American Federation of Hosiery Workers (2 folders)
- Union Workers - United Automobile Workers of America
- Union Workers - Bakery and Confectionary Workers
- Union Workers - Barbers, Hairdressers, Cosmetologists International Union of America
- Union Workers - International Chemical Workers Union
- Union Workers - Amalgamated Clothing Workers
- Union Workers - Communications Workers of America
- Union Workers - The Electrical Workers' Journal Publicity
- Union Workers - American Flint Glass Workers Union
- Union Workers - International Handbag, Luggage, Belt and Novelty Workers Union
- Union Workers - Hotel and Restaurant Employees and Bartenders International Union
- Union Workers - International Photo Engravers Union of North America
- Union Workers - International Ladies Garment Workers Union
- Union Workers - Laundry Workers' International Union
- Union Workers - Maintenance of Way employees Union
- Union Workers - Amalgamated Meat Cutters and Butchers Workmen
- Union Workers - International Union Operating Engineers
- Union Workers - Upholsterers International Unions
- Union Workers - Wood, Wire and Metal Lathers International
- Miscellaneous - Operative Plasterers and Cement Masons
- Miscellaneous - Pattern Makers League of North America
- Miscellaneous - Railroad Signalmen of America
- Miscellaneous - Amalgamated Association of Street, Electric Railway and Motor Coach Employees of America
- Miscellaneous - International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees
- Miscellaneous - Booklet
- Miscellaneous - American Federation of Labor pledges and contributions
- Miscellaneous - Solicitation letters sent to American Federation of Labor Unions
- Miscellaneous - A. F of L.
- Miscellaneous - C. I. O.
- Miscellaneous - United Mine Workers, John L. Lewis
- T. V.
- March of Dimes publicity kit, 1954
- Drew Pearson
- Wrigley, Tom
- Clippings, 1952
- Clippings, 1953
- Clippings, 1954
- Clippings, 1955
- Clippings, 1956
- Clippings, 1957 (2 folders)
- Clippings, 1959-60
- Clippings, 1961-62
- Tape recordings
RECORDS OF TOM L. EVANS, TREASURER OF THE HARRY S. TRUMAN LIBRARY INC.
- Truman dinner, Kansas City, Missouri
- Library equipment, Phil Brooks
- Dedication of Harry S, Truman Library
- Invitation lists to Basil O' Connor reception July 5 and Truman reception July 6, 1957
- Truman Library - Duff & Repp - Robert Keith Furniture Company
- Harry S. Truman Copy Letter ( 2 folders)
- Harry S. Truman Library Inc., construction, April - July, 1955 (2 folders)
- Harry S. Truman Library Inc., correspondence, 1953-1954 (3 folders)
- Harry S. Truman Library Inc., correspondence, January - May, 1955
- Harry S. Truman Library Inc., correspondence, 1956-1958 (4 folders)
- Harry S. Truman Library Inc., correspondence, 1958-1963 ( 2 folders)
- Scroll for erecting a record depository of Harry S. Truman on University of Kansas City Campus
- Truman Library birthday dinner, 1955
- Harry S. Truman Library Inc. - by laws, minutes of meetings, resolutions - 2 Vols.
FILES OF THE GREATER KANSAS CITY TRUSTEES, HARRY S. TRUMAN LIBRARY INC.
- Harry S. Truman Library dedication ceremonies
- Truman Library dedication ceremonies regrets
- Truman Library dedication ceremonies, acceptance cards and letters ( 6 folders)
- Cross reference sheets
- The following separate items are at the end of the collection.
- Index boxes (3 X 5) containing addresses of contributors to the Harry S. Truman Library, Inc. - 16 boxes
JOURNALS AND CHECKBOOKS
- Journal, Harry S. Truman Library, Inc. [ledger of accounts]
- Checkbooks, Harry S. Truman Library, Inc. (2)
- The Book of the Builders of the Harry S. Truman Library