Dates: 1902-92; bulk dates 1943-49
Commissioner of Internal Revenue, 1943-45; Postmaster General of the United States, 1945-47; Chairman of the Democratic National Committee, 1944-47
The collection primarily documents Hannegan's career in the above mentioned positions and is likely the remnant of a larger group of papers, most of which have not survived. Slightly over half the collection is composed of such commemorative materials as scrapbooks and albums holding letters from famous people, including Presidents Roosevelt and Truman, photographs, mimeographed copies of speeches, and newspaper clippings.
Size: 6.4 linear feet (about 12,800 pages and 875 photographs)
Access: Open, with the exception that a small amount of material has been closed in accordance with the provisions of the donor's deed of gift.
Copyright: Mrs. Irma P. Hannegan donated her copyright interest in any of Robert E. Hannegan's unpublished writings in this collection or any other collection in the custody of the United States Government to the people of the United States. In addition documents prepared by United States Government employees in the course of their official duties are also in the public domain. Copyright interest in documents that do not fall in the above two categories is presumed to remain with the writers of the documents.
Processed by: Patrick Lynn, Dennis Bilger, and Sharie Simon (1993); Dennis E. Bilger, Sue Linhardt, and Randy Sowell (2001).
|1903, June 30||Born, St. Louis, Missouri|
|1925||LL.B., St. Louis University|
|1925-42||Practiced law in St. Louis|
|1933-42||Chairman of the Democratic City Committee of St. Louis; became during this period the chief aid to Mayor Bernard F. Dickmann and the boss of the twenty-first ward in St. Louis|
|1942-43||Collector of Internal Revenue for the Eastern District of Missouri|
|1943-45||Commissioner of Internal Revenue|
|1944-47||Chairman of the Democratic National Committee|
|1945-47||Postmaster General of the United States|
|1947-49||President, Cardinal National League Baseball Organization|
|1949, Oct. 6||Died, St. Louis, Missouri|
The papers of Robert E. Hannegan document primarily his work as Commissioner of Internal Revenue from l943 to l945, as Postmaster General of the United States from l945 to l947, and as Chairman of the Democratic National Committee from l944 to l947. There is also some information about Hannegan's family and early life, and his position as head of the St. Louis Cardinals. The collection is probably the remnant of a larger group of papers, most of which have not survived.
The collection consists of six series. The Correspondence File contains letters, notes and telegrams sent to Hannegan by Presidents Roosevelt and Truman, and by many other notable people. The correspondence was mounted in albums by the Hannegan family. Much, though by no means all, of the correspondence is ceremonial in character. Among the topics covered are the l944 Democratic National Convention, the l944 campaign, Hannegan's resignations from his government positions, and his death.
;The Subject File documents primarily Hannegan's position as chairman of the Democratic National Committee. The many files on government agencies are concerned mainly with appointments. The series also contains materials that reflect Hannegan's special interest in labor legislation. Photocopies of materials relating to Hannegan in the holdings of several other repositories are filed under the names of the repositories. A list of presidential nominations and of confirmed appointments is filed at the beginning of the series.
The Speech File contains reading copies, mimeographed copies and a few transcripts of speeches that Hannegan made primarily as Democratic Party spokesman during the l944 and l946 campaigns. His work as Postmaster General is also documented. The series also includes printed versions of a few speeches of James A. Farley, and a press release of President Truman's address to Congress of August l6, l945. Audio recordings of a few of Hannegan's speeches, which came to the Library with his papers, have been transferred to the audiovisual collection. Cross reference sheets for these recordings are in the Audiovisual File.
The Scrapbook and Printed Materials File contains newspaper clippings, mimeographed copies of speeches and statements, press releases, a small amount of correspondence, and several other types of material relating primarily to Hannegan's government career. The first scrapbook in the series, which is present only as a photocopy , contains information about Hannegan's father and his early life. One scrapbook, entitled, "Washington's Birthday Party" documents a Democratic Party fundraising event in Dallas, Texas that both Harry S. Truman and Lyndon Johnson attended; another scrapbook contains memorabilia from the l944 Democratic National Convention; yet another has mimeographed copies of speeches and press releases that document Hannegan's government service. The remaining scrapbooks in the series are collections of invitations and souvenir printed items. Most of the rest of the series is composed of newspaper and magazine clippings. An attendance register listing people who attended Hannegan's funeral is filed near the end of the series.
The Audiovisual File contains photocopies of photographs that have been transferred to the audiovisual collection, and a cross reference sheet for several sound recordings of Hannegan's speeches. The series maintains the arrangement in albums that Hannegan gave the photographs. In the first seven albums the photographs are arranged chronologically. In the remainder the arrangement is by subject. Subjects covered include honorary dinners given for Hannegan and Truman by the Knights of the Cauliflower Ear, a testimonial dinner given by the Association of Postal Supervisors, Hannegan's trip to Tokyo in July l946, his attendance at "Flying Post Office Ceremonies" in September l946, and his vacation in Miami Beach in about l946.
A new series, the General File, was added to the Robert E. Hannegan Papers as an accretion in 2001. It consists mostly of personal correspondence to Robert Hannegan and to his widow, Irma Hannegan, along with newspaper clippings, other printed material, and additional items. Included in the series are many Christmas messages, wedding announcements, and letters of condolence following Robert Hannegan’s death in 1949. Much of the correspondence is from officials in the Truman administration and other prominent persons. There is relatively little documentation in this series of Hannegan’s official duties. The General File does contain some information about Hannegan’s relations with Roosevelt and Truman, and the role he played in the nomination of Truman for Vice President at the 1944 Democratic National Convention. Copies of many of the documents in the General File can also be found in an earlier series, the Correspondence File.
Other collections at the Truman Library relating to Robert E. Hannegan and the Post Office Department include the papers of Harry S. Truman (White House Central Files: Official File l9), Paul Aiken, and Jesse Donaldson. Collections pertaining to Hannegan and the Democratic National Committee include the papers of Harry S. Truman (President's Secretary's Files: Political File), William M. Boyle, Jr., India Edwards, Edward H. Foley, Jr., and John M. Redding; and the records of the Democratic National Committee.
The famous note from President Roosevelt to Robert E. Hannegan, dated July l9, l944, indicating Roosevelt's willingness to have Truman as his vice presidential running mate in l944, was given to President Truman by Mrs. Hannegan in l960. The note exists in two forms, one handwritten by President Roosevelt, the other typed and signed by the President; both versions were given to Truman by Mrs. Hannegan. They were in the possession of the Truman family until l985, when they were deeded to the Truman Library. They were filed at that time in the Miscellaneous Historical Documents Collection (#4l5), which had included for many years a copy of the carbon copy of the typed version of the note, which is in the holdings of the Franklin D. Roosevelt Library. The original notes and the copy of the carbon copy have all been transferred to this collection; they are filed in the Subject File under the title, "President Roosevelt's Note to Robert E. Hannegan, July l9, l944."
|1-2||CORRESPONDENCE FILE, 1941-1966, (Bulk dates, 1943-1949)
Letters, notes and telegrams sent to Robert E. Hannegan by Franklin D. Roosevelt, Eleanor Roosevelt, Harry S. Truman, Bess Truman, and many other well-known people. The series also includes attachments to correspondence and such materials as invitations, citations, itineraries, lists of participants, speeches and statements, and newspaper clippings. Much, though by no means all, of the correspondence is ceremonial in character. Among the topics documented in the series are Roosevelt's nomination in l944, the l944 campaign, Hannegan's resignations from the positions of Commissioner of Internal Revenue and Postmaster General, Hannegan's role in the selection of the Democratic vice presidential candidate in 1944, the Democratic Party platform, and Hannegan's death. This material was received mounted in six albums. The arrangement within these albums has been maintained.
|2-8||SUBJECT FILE, 1943-1992, (Bulk dates, 1943-1947)
Correspondence, memoranda, telegrams, reports, speeches, newspaper clippings and other printed material relating to such subjects as appointments to federal agencies, Democratic Party business and ceremonial events, Stuart Symington's trip to Asia and Europe in l946, labor legislation, U.S. policy toward Palestine, price controls, the selection of a Democratic vice presidential candidate in l944, and the dismissal of Secretary of Commerce Henry Wallace. Arranged alphabetically by subject.
|9-10||SPEECH FILE, 1936-1947, (Bulk dates, 1944-1947)
Speeches in press release, reading copy and transcript formats. Most of the speeches in the series were delivered by Robert E. Hannegan in his positions as chairman of the Democratic National Committee and Postmaster General. The series also includes printed versions of a small number of speeches of James A.Farley, and a press release of President Truman's address to Congress of August l6, l945. Hannegan's speeches were mounted by Mr. Hannegan or his family in two albums. The arrangement within these albums, which is in a partially overlapping chronological order, has been maintained.
|10-13||SCRAPBOOK AND PRINTED MATERIALS FILE, 1902-1992, (Bulk dates, 1902-1952)
Scrapbooks and photocopies of scrapbooks containing newspaper clippings, mimeographed copies of speeches and statements, press releases from the Office of the Commissioner of Internal Revenue, the Bureau of Publicity of the Democratic National Committee, and the Post Office Department, photographs, printed material, invitations, programs, souvenir items, and a small amount of correspondence. The scrapbooks are placed first in the series, arranged in an approximate chronological order. The other printed materials follow, newspaper articles placed first, magazine articles second, and miscellaneous materials last.
|14-15||AUDIOVISUAL FILE, c. 1923-1951
Photocopies of photographs that have been transferred to the audiovisual unit; a few commemorative printed items; and a cross reference sheet for the sound recordings in the series, which have also been transferred to the audiovisual unit. The arrangement of the photographs is by photograph album. Hannegan's arrangement within individual albums has been maintained.The first seven albums in the series are in an approximate chronological order, and the remaining albums are arranged by subjects in an approximate chronological order.
|15-16||GENERAL FILE, 1929-1987 [2001 Accretion]
Correspondence, printed material, and other documents relating to Mr. and Mrs. Robert E. Hannegan. Included are many Christmas greetings, wedding announcements, and condolence messages, along with some information concerning Hannegan's relations with Franklin Roosevelt and Harry Truman. Arranged in alphabetical order.
- Letters from the Presidents, Book I, 1941-46
- Letters from the Presidents, Book II, 1943-47
- Letters from Famous People, Book I, 1943-66
- Letters from Famous People, Book II, 1944-6l
- Letters from Famous People, 1943-49 [1 of 2]
- Letters from Famous People, 1943-49 [2 of 2]
- Miscellaneous Letters, 1943-47 [more letters from famous people] [1 of 2]
- Miscellaneous Letters, 1943-47 [more letters from famous people] [2 of 2]
- Mr. Hannegan's Appointments, July 1945-December 1947 [appointment calendars]
- Presidential Appointments, March 1943-December 1947 [lists of presidential nominations for office and of confirmed appointments]
- Case Bill--Against, March-June 1946
- Case Bill--For, February-June 1946 [proposed labor legislation]
- Commission of Independence Hall, 1946
- Council of Economic Advisers, 1946
- Court of Tax Appeals, 1947
- Democratic National Committee--Executive Committee
- Department of State, 1945
- General Eisenhower, 1945-46
- Equal Rights Amendment, 1946
- Export-Import Bank, 1945
- Fair Employment Practices, 1945-46
- Farm Security Administration, 1945-46
- FCC [Federal Communications Commission], 1947
- FDIC [Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation], 1945
- Federal Power Commission, 1945-47
- Federal Public Housing, 1945-46
- Federal Reserve System, 1946
- Federal Trade Commission, 1945-46
- Greece, 1945
- Greece, II
- Guide to the Itinerary of Mr. [Stuart] Symington and His Guests on Their Flight, June 26 to August 5, 1946
- Hannegan, Robert - Personal
- Hawaii, 1946
- Houghton Library, Harvard University [notes on an oral history interview with Robert E. Hannegan from the Robert E. Sherwood Oral History Collection]
- ICC [Interstate Commerce Commission], 1946
- Indian Claims Commission, 1946
- International Issues, 1945-46 [international conferences scheduled for l946; a proposal by The Nation Associates to suspend Argentina from the United Nations; the firing of Henry Wallace]
- Ireland, 1946
- Italian Situation, 1945-46
- Jackson Day Dinner [I], 1945-46
- Jackson Day Dinner [II], 1946
- Jefferson Day Dinner, 1945
- Lyndon Baines Johnson Library [photocopies of documents from the Library relating to Robert E. Hannegan, 1945-6l]
- Labor--Legislation and Misc. Matters Re, 1944-46
- The President's Labor Legislation--Against, 1946 [1 of 2]
- The President's Labor Legislation--Against, 1946 [2 of 2]
- The President's Labor Legislation--For, 1946
- Maritime Commission, 1946-47
- Minimum Wage Bill, 1945-46
- Miscellaneous Matters, 1944-46 [correspondence regarding Democratic Party business--appointments, fundraising, meetings, policies, etc.] [1 of 2]
- Miscellaneous Matters, 1944-46 [correspondence regarding Democratic Party business--appointments, fundraising, meetings, policies, etc.] [2 of 2]
- National Labor Relations Board, 1946
- Non-Partisan Association for Franchise Education, Inc. [empty]
- Trip to Norway, 1946
- Notre Dame University Archives [photocopies of documents from the Archives of the University of Notre Dame relating to Robert E. Hannegan, 1945-55, copied for Francis S. Wyman]
- Pacific Trip, 1946 [two loose items, one relating to the celebration of Philippine independence on July 4, 1946, the other to the Japanese postal service]
- Palestine, 1945
- Material Relating to a Stamp Commemorating the Liberation of Paris
- Programs and Other Ceremonial Items
- Puerto Rico, 1945-47
- Office of Price Administration, 1945-46 [1 of 3]
- Office of Price Administration, 1945-46 [2 of 3]
- Office of Price Administration, 1945-46 [3 of 3]
- Registers from the Funeral of Robert E. Hannegan, October 10, 1949
- Reorganization Plan, 1946
- President Roosevelt's Note to Robert E. Hannegan, July 19, 1944
- Franklin D. Roosevelt Library [1 of 2, photocopies of documents in the holdings of the Library relating to the l944 Democratic National Convention, presented by Senator Thomas F. Eagleton to the Hannegan family in l982]
- Franklin D. Roosevelt Library [2 of 2, typewritten copies of documents in the holdings of the Library from the file on James F. Byrnes in the President's Secretary's File]
- Small Business, 1947
- St. Louis Cardinals, 1945-92
- State Historical Society of Wisconsin [photocopies of documents in the Richard Rovere Papers relating to Robert E. Hannegan, 1945-58] [1 of 2]
- State Historical Society of Wisconsin [photocopies of documents in the Richard Rovere Papers relating to Robert E. Hannegan, 1945-58] [2 of 2]
- Strikes, 1946
- United States Employment Service, 1945-46
- U.S. Tariff Commission, 1946
- U.S. Tax Court, 1946
- Voting Statistics, 1944-46
- Veterans Administration, 1944-46
- Henry A. Wallace--Against, 1946 [1 of 2]
- Henry A. Wallace--Against, 1946 [2 of 2]
- Henry A. Wallace--For, 1946
- Washington Newsletter, 1945-46 [three different newsletters from Washington, D.C. publications]
- War Ballot Commission, 1944
- Young Democrats of America, 1946
- Speeches, Vol. 1, February 1944-November 1945 [1 of 6]
- Speeches, Vol. 1, February 1944-November 1945 [2 of 6]
- Speeches, Vol. 1, February 1944-November 1945 [3 of 6]
- Speeches, Vol. 1, February 1944-November 1945 [4 of 6]
- Speeches, Vol. 1, February 1944-November 1945 [5 of 6]
- Speeches, Vol. 1, February 1944-November 1945 [6 of 6]
- Speeches, Vol. 2, June 1945-October 1947 [1 of 4]
- Speeches, Vol. 2, June 1945-October 1947 [2 of 4]
- Speeches, Vol. 2, June 1945-October 1947 [3 of 4]
- Speeches, Vol. 2, June 1945-October 1947 [4 of 4]
- Addresses of James A. Farley, November 1936-August 1938
- Truman's Address to Congress, April 16, 1945
- Scrapbook Relating to Robert E. Hannegan's Youth and to the Life of His Father, John Hannegan, 1902-46 [photocopies only]
- Scrapbook of Mimeographed Press Releases, Speeches and Other Documents Relating to the Internal Revenue Service, the Postal Service, and the Democratic Party, 1943-47 [1 of 4]
- Scrapbook of Mimeographed Press Releases, Speeches and Other Documents Relating to the Internal Revenue Service, the Postal Service, and the Democratic Party, 1943-47 [2 of 4]
- Scrapbook of Mimeographed Press Releases, Speeches and Other Documents Relating to the Internal Revenue Service, the Postal Service, and the Democratic Party, 1943-47 [3 of 4]
- Scrapbook of Mimeographed Press Releases, Speeches and Other Documents Relating to the Internal Revenue Service, the Postal Service, and the Democratic Party, 1943-47 [4 of 4]
- Scrapbook, Washington's Birthday Party, Dallas, Texas, February 26, 1944
- Scrapbook Relating to the 1944 Democratic National Convention and Other Subjects [1 of 2]
- Scrapbook Relating to the 1944 Democratic National Convention and Other Subjects [2 of 2]
- Scrapbook of Invitations, 1944-47 [1 of 3]
- Scrapbook of Invitations, 1944-47 [2 of 3]
- Scrapbook of Invitations, 1944-47 [3 of 3]
- Scrapbook, "Miscellaneous Souvenirs 1," 1943-47 [1 of 2]
- Scrapbook, "Miscellaneous Souvenirs 1," 1943-47 [2 of 2]
- Scrapbook, "Miscellaneous Souvenirs 2," 1943-48 [1 of 3]
- Scrapbook, "Miscellaneous Souvenirs 2," 1943-48 [2 of 3]
- Scrapbook, "Miscellaneous Souvenirs 2," 1943-48 [3 of 3]
- Das Reich, December 31, 1944
- Newspapers and Magazines Commemorating the Inauguration of the Philippine Republic, l946
- Newspaper Articles, 1943-52 [1 of 4]
- Newspaper Articles, 1943-52 [2 of 4]
- Newspaper Articles, 1943-52 [3 of 4]
- Newspaper Articles, 1943-52 [4 of 4]
- Newspaper Articles, 1991-92
- Magazine Articles, 1943-46
- Miscellaneous Material Regarding Hannegan's Death, 1949
- Miscellaneous Material Regarding Hannegan, 1972-85
- Cross References for Books Transferred to the Printed Materials Collection
- Photograph Album I, 1943-47
- Photograph Album II, 1944-46
- Photograph Album III, 1943-46
- Photograph Album IV, 1944-46
- Photograph Album V, 1945-47
- Photographs, 1923-49 [1 of 2]
- Photographs, 1923-49 [2 of 2]
- Oversize Photographs, 1944-47
- Photograph Album, Knights of the Cauliflower Ear, Dinner Honoring Robert E. Hannegan, November 13, 1943
- Photographs, Knights of the Cauliflower Ear, Dinner Honoring Harry S. Truman, 1944
- Photograph Album, Testimonial Dinner for Robert E. Hannegan by the Association of Postal Supervisors, New York, February 6, 1946
- Photograph Album Presented to Robert E. Hannegan During His Visit to Tokyo, Japan, July 1946
- Photographs and a Trip Log--The President's Vacation Cruise, August 16 to September 2, 1946
- Photographs and Ceremonial Printed Items--Robert E. Hannegan and the Catholic Church, 1937-49
- Photographs--The Flying Post Office Ceremonies, September 25, 1946
- Photographs--Vacation in Miami Beach, Florida, c. 1946
- Photographs--From Irving Geist, 1945-50
- Photographs--Dad [Robert E. Hannegan] and Mr. [Bernard F.] Dickmann, 1940-5l
- Photographs--Greta Kempton's Portrait of Robert E. Hannegan, November 29, 1948
- Sound Recordings, 1944-46 [cross references for seven disc recordings and one tape recording that were transferred to the audiovisual unit]
- Acheson, Dean
- Baer, Arthur B.-Stix, Baer and Fuller Company, St. Louis
- Bankhead, Tallulah
- Barkley, Alben W.
- Bay, Mrs. Charles Ulrick
- Bliven, Bruce, Jr.-New York Times Magazine, November 23, 1947
- Boettiger, Anna Roosevelt
- Bradford, Tommie Lee-Memorial Service, September 19, 1987
- Cassini, A.-Washington Times-Herald
- Clark, Tom
- Clifford, Clark M.
- Daniels, Jonathan
- Delano, Preston-Comptroller of the Currency
- Delany, Frank J.-Solicitor of the Post Office Department
- Democratic National Convention, 1948-Passes
- Democratic Party
- Dewey, Thomas E.
- Dickmann, Bernard F.
- Eagleton, Senator Thomas F.
- Early, Stephen
- Eccles, Marriner S.
- Eisenhower, Dwight D.
- English, W. Francis--Director, Western Historical Manuscript Collection
- Foley, E. H.-750 Club, Democratic National Committee
- Fortas, Abe
- Graham, Dr. Wallace H.
- Hannagan, Steve
- Hannegan, Anna-Mass Offerings and Sympathy Notes on the Death of Robert E. Hannegan's Mother, November 1947
- Hannegan, Irma [Mrs. Robert E.]-Check to Bess W. Truman, 1947
- Hannegan, Irma [Mrs. Robert E.]-Membership Card, Honorary Fellow, Harry S. Truman Library Institute
- Hannegan, Irma [Mrs. Robert E.]-Tea Party
- Hannegan, Robert E.-Death, October 1949
- Hannegan, Robert E.-Deed to Property in Washington, D.C.
- Hannegan, Robert E.-Family Trip to Europe, 1949
- Hannegan, Robert E.-Induction as Postmaster General
- Hannegan, Robert E.-Interview with Robert E. Sherwood on the 1944 Democratic National Convention
- Hannegan, Robert E.-Letter from His Wife and Children, 1944
- Hannegan, Robert E.-Marriage to Irma Protzmann, November 14, 1929
- Jackson, E. B.-Chief Clerk, Post Office Department
- Johnson, Louis
- Johnson, Lyndon B.
- Johnson, Mrs. Lyndon B.
- Jones, Jesse H.
- Keener, Sid C.-St. Louis Star-Times
- Kennedy, John F.
- Lawyers Association of St. Louis
- Lyons, Leonard-Column, "The Lyons Den"
- Marshall, George C.
- Materials Transferred to the Audiovisual and Museum Collections
- Messall, Victor R.
- Minton, Sherman
- Miscellaneous Materials-Newspaper Clippings, Cartoons, and Other Items
- O'Malley, Pat-Transcontinental and Western Air, Inc.
- Porter, Paul A.
- Rickenbacker, Edward V.
- Roberts, Kenneth
- Roosevelt, Eleanor [Mrs. Franklin D.]
- Roosevelt, Franklin D.
- Roosevelt, Franklin D., Jr.
- Rosenman, Samuel I.
- Schwartz, Colonel S. G.-V-Mail Program
- Schwellenbach, Anne [Mrs. Lewis]
- Sherwood, Robert E.
- Skouras, Spyros
- Soviet Union-Letter from the U.S. Embassy, April 28, 1947
- Steinbeck, John
- Stern, J. David-Philadelphia Record
- Sullivan, Deborah-Marriage to Philip Ames DuSault, September 30, 1967
- Symington, Stuart
- Symington, Stuart-Marriage to Mrs. Arthur Kittredge Watson, June 14, 1978
- Taylor, Myron
- Tillett, Gladys [Mrs. Charles W.]-Democratic National Committee
- Truman, Bess W. [Mrs. Harry S.]
- Truman, Harry S.
- Truman, Margaret
- Tully, Grace-F.D.R. My Boss
- Vandenberg, Senator Arthur H.
- Vanderbilt, Cornelius
- Vardaman, James K., Jr.
- Vinson, Fred M.
- Walker, Frank C.
- Webb, Hazel
- Welles, Orson
- Zanuck, Darryl