Truman lived next to this road and heard its traffic for 53 years. On January 20, 1949, it was named for him. The program for the ribbon-cutting ceremony on December 15, 1953 declared that "Truman Road, representing a symbol of progress and a citadel of freedom, must be magnificently beautiful and rainbow colorful." Toward that goal, statues of Presidents were to be placed at intervals, culminating in a Truman statue on the lawn of 219 North Delaware Street. The reality has been somewhat different.