Truman decided very quickly after he became county judge in 1923 that the old Jackson County Courthouse at 5th and Oak was a fire hazard and needed to be replaced. He got approval from the voters in 1931 for a $4 million bond issue for a new courthouse (pictured), which was dedicated in December 1934. Truman had a office in the new courthouse building during most of his first term as U.S. Senator, from 1935 to 1939.
The Jackson County Courthouse sits at 415 East 12th Street.